One year ago yesterday I made the decision to become Vegan and it remains to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Here are a few of the many things I have noticed during my first year –
- Omnivores don’t like it when you make vegan jokes. It makes them very uncomfortable and I really love it.
- I don’t miss cheese.
- Vegan mayo is better than regular mayo (specifically Vegenaise and Plamil) and Plamil chocolate spread is better than Nutella.
- There are a lot of amazing accidentally vegan products including Co-op doughnuts, Camden Hells Beer, Oreos and Salt & Vinegar McCoys crisps – I love this Instagram account for finding out new accidentally vegan products
- Some of your friends will be incredibly supportive. They will cook for you, they will get vegan friendly snacks in for when you go to their houses. They will try the tofu sausages you cook for them, they will research vegan restaurants that they think you might like and they will come with you to them and make yummy noises while they eat.
- The vegan option in most restaurants is a bowl of chips.
- Animal derived ingredients are used in so many products. It’s usually milk. Fucking milk. Milk in mints, milk in crisps, milk in Tesco Value Pickled Onions.
- A lot of people have a misconception that being vegan means being healthy. Sometimes but there is a lot of vegan junk food too so what’s a girl to do?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- In that one year it is estimated that I saved 200 animals based on these calculations from PETA in 2010.